This is a very simple salad but the flavor combination is out-of -this-world, delicious. If you haven’t had something like this before you will be very surprised at how well these few ingredients go together.
- 8 oz raw Brussels sprouts, shredded
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, peeled, shelled
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp sugar
1. Wash the brussels sprouts and cut the stems off, remove any loose or dirty leaves.
2. Using the slicing blade of your food processor, carefully shred the brussels sprouts. If you do not have a food processor, this can also be done by by hand. Getting the ribbon effect is key, so however you prefer to do it! Be sure to remove any white cores you find.
4. Set aside in a bowl in the refrigerator.
1. On low-med heat, roast hazelnuts in a medium saute pan. Toss them around periodically, their paper like shells will begin to come off. After about 15 minutes of roasting, let cool. The remaining shells should flake off. Set aside. America’s Test Kitchen @TestKitchen suggests, transferring hazelnuts to a dish towel. Wrap them completely, twist the towel to seal. Then rub together to scrape off skin.
2. Cook sugar and 1/4 cup water in a medium, heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved. Continue to cook, without stirring, until syrup comes to a boil, washing down sides with a wet brush to prevent crystals from forming. Let boil until syrup turns light amber, about 5 minutes; remove from heat.
3. Place a large sheet of parchment paper on your counter. When the sugar is amber in color, toss the hazelnuts in the sauce pan, swirl around for 3 seconds and pour the extremely HOT mixture onto the parchment paper.
4. Let cool for 5 minutes.
5. Break apart into large piece and toss into a sturdy ziplock bag. Knock around the bag on the counter top, this will separate the candied nuts.
1. Whisk ingredients in a medium size bowl, adjust salt/pepper/sugar to taste. Should be on the tart side.
Mix in a large bowl, toss brussels sprouts with vinaigrette, top with candied hazelnuts and serve! You will be surprised at the flavor combination, tart, sweet, crunchy…yum!
I hope you enjoy! Thanks for reading…x-G